eBay is known as the largest and most successful auction and selling the site on the internet. Knowing how to personalize your eBay summary page is crucial knowledge for those aiming to utilize this powerful platform!
So how do you personalize your eBay summary page?
- You can personalize your eBay Summary page by following these steps:
- Click on My eBay at the top right corner of the page
- Choose Summary from the drop-down menu
- Click on features you want to add, hide or move
- Choose which info you want visible
- Navigate to the 3 tabs in the upper left corner of the screen
- You will see the Activity tab, Messages tab and Accounts tab
- Click on and customize each of these tabs
- Navigate to the Activity tab
- Click on one of the sub-pages
- Click Link in the upper right corner.
- This selects the current page as your My eBay summary home page
That gives you a breakdown of how to personalize your eBay summary page. But don’t stop there! eBay is a powerful platform and there is so much more to discover. So let’s dig a little deeper!
What Is eBay?
Let’s start at the beginning and define what eBay is. eBay is the largest online auction and selling platform. It generates its income from charging fees to people who buy and sell on their platform.
eBay provides the option of selling new or used items and you can choose to sell these via auctions or for a fixed-price.
eBay was initially established by Pierre Omidyar simply because he wanted to sell some of his own personal items. However, since it was such a brilliant concept it was noticed by Netizens who encouraged him to turn it into a business, and the end result of that was eBay!
How To Use eBay As A Buyer
When it comes to buying off eBay you have 2 options. You can shop as a guest buyer or you can sign up as a member. As a guest on eBay, you can buy off eBay without signing up for an account. With this option, you have the ability to shop, keep track of your purchases and return items you have purchased. However, you won’t have the benefits of being an eBay member.
To buy as a guest on eBay you do the following:
- Click on “Buy it Now”
- Select “Continue as a guest”
- Fill in the shipping address
- Fill in email address and payment info
- Once you have done this you will receive a confirmation email and your order is complete.
Bear in mind that you can only buy off eBay as a guest when:
- Item costs less than $5000
- Item can be bought via “Buy it now”
- The seller has a feedback score of 50 or more
- You pay using PayPal or a credit card
The other option as mentioned is to buy on eBay as a member. You need to sign up for an account with eBay in order to do this.
Some of the benefits of signing up as a member when you want to buy are:
- Protection against scams and bad service
- 3rd party arbitration from eBay for disputes
Once you have decided whether to sign up with eBay or be a guest buyer you have 2 options when it comes to buying items: Buy It Now and auction.
With the buy it now options you pay a fixed price and need to pay for the item immediately. With the auction option, your bid on the item and pay for it within 2 days if your bid is accepted.
The buy it now option is the simplest option to use as you simply pay the fixed price of the item.
With the auction option, the seller lists a starting price and then you bid against other buyers. When the listing ends, the highest bid wins. The buyer then pays for the item within 2 days and the seller arranges shipping of the item to the buyer.
As a buyer, you can track your buying history under the purchase history tab.
How To Use eBay As A Seller
To use the eBay platform as a seller you first need to sign up for an eBay account. Once you have done this, you can then sign in to eBay using your User ID and password. It’s important to note that you can also log on to eBay via Facebook and Google and not just through the eBay platform.
To use eBay to sell items follow these steps:
- Sign up for an eBay account
- Select sell at the top of the eBay page
- Click on Sell your item
- From the menu choose a category for your product
- Describe the product you are selling
- Choose auction or fixed-price format
- Choose your shipping preference
- Choose return policy
- Indicate how you want to be paid
As a seller, you have the My eBay summary page which provides you with extensive info about sales you have made, lists your auctions and keeps track of all your financial transactions as well as other features. It’s a very helpful tool that gives you a good overall view of how your products are selling.
When using eBay as a selling platform It’s important to remember to familiarise yourself with the rules eBay has set for sellers, as well as their policies on what you may and may not sell.
How Do You Create A Listing On eBay As A Seller?
You need to think of words that describe what you are selling. Be sure to include its features and specifications if applicable. Try to describe your item as accurately as possible. Always remember to include the product number of your item if applicable.
eBay provides some great quick listing tools which give you a great step-by-step guide on how to list goods for sale.
To enable additional quick listing tools options do the followings:
- Select change listing preferences from the top of the listing form
- Select enable more options and save
- Select more options
If you sell regularly or operate as a business, then you have the option of using the advanced listing form. This provides you with more options like shopping discounts and other features to meet buyer needs. The advanced listing form makes it easier and put together and manage your listings.
To use the advanced listing form do the following:
- Go to My eBay or Seller Hub and select an advanced listing form
- Select Enable more options and save
- Select More options to see your additional listing options
- Should You Use Templates On eBay?
- eBay offers the option of using a template when making a listing. So instead of trying to put one together from scratch, you have the option of using a template.
How Do You Use Templates For Listings?
eBay offers a very helpful function by providing templates for you to use when creating your listings. The advantages of using a template are that it will save you time and also give you a polished look for your listing.
If you are new to eBay using templates for listings will be very helpful.
Follow these steps to use a template for a listing:
- Describe your item for sale
- Choose a category for it
- eBay will show listings with similar items being sold
- Use the dropdown menu lists to choose details that are relevant to your item
- Click on use as a listing template to use option as a template
Pricing Options On eBay
eBay offers 2 choices when it comes to pricing your items. You can sell your item at a fixed price or choose the auction option.
With the auction option, you choose a starting price from which the bidding will start. eBay will give you suggestions on what starting price to choose. This is based on the price of similar items that have been listed.
Part of the auction option is the buy it now option. This lists the price at which you are prepared to sell the item. If the buyer meets this price, they will get the item and the auction ends.
With the Fixed price option, the buyer pays the stated price and receives the item. Again, eBay will give you suggestions on which price to set.
What then are the pros and cons of setting a fixed-price vs auction for your item for sale?
- You can get a higher price for your item
- You can sell your products quicker
- Buyers don’t want to wait 7 days for an auction to end
- Don’t reach as wide an audience as fixed-price listings
- The process is not automated
- Slow payment
- Can be bought immediately without a waiting period
- Shipping happens quickly
- Automated process
- You have the option of doing sales on your items
- Payment is instant
- You don’t have the option of getting a higher price for your item
So given the above Pro’s and Cons of the auction option vs the fixed-price option, what then is the best option to use on eBay?
Consider these 3 aspects when making your choice for pricing options for your products:
- The Type Of Item You Are Selling
A definite factor influencing this choice is what you are selling. Some items, like antique books or jewelry, would probably generate a bigger price tag on auction.
- How Many risks You Are Willing To Take With The Pricing
With the fixed-priced option, payment has to be made immediately which eliminates any risk for the seller. The auction option, however, works differently. The payment only needs to be made within 2 days after the sale which does raise the risk for the seller.
- How Quickly You Want Your Products Sold
With the auction option, you may find selling products somewhat quicker due to the bidding process.
As the seller, you will need to weigh up the pro’s and con’s of each pricing option and also experiment with various products to gauge which approach will work best!
What Does It Cost You To Sell On eBay?
In the process of listing and selling items on eBay, it’s very easy to overlook the fees you need to pay as a seller on eBay. What fees than are applicable when selling on eBay?
eBay charges 2 types of fees to sellers. These are a listing fee, which you pay to list your products and a final value fee which you pay when your item sells.
The amount charged by eBay depends on the following factors:
- Price of item
- Format of listing
- Category of item
- Listing upgrades
- Performance of the seller
eBay charges a fee for every listing you create, and for every category. This fee is payable even if your item doesn’t sell. It is also applicable if your item is relisted.
If you have an eBay store, you are given 50 free listings and no listing fees are applicable.
Final Value Fees
These fees are charged when your item is sold. These are a percentage of the total amount paid by the buyer.
What Are The Payment Options For Buyers On eBay?
The buyer on eBay needs to pay the seller immediately when purchasing a fixed-price item, and within 2 days if purchasing an auction item. Once your payment has been received, then the seller will arrange to ship your item to you.
When paying for an item on eBay, you have the following options:
- Paying through PayPal by linking your eBay and PayPal accounts
- Paying via credit or debit card
- With coupons and discounts from eBay
- With an eBay gift card
- With eBay bucks
Are Buyers And Sellers Allowed To Contact Each Other Outside Of The eBay Platform?
No, buyers and sellers are not allowed to contact each other off the eBay platform. Furthermore, they also can’t use info from eBay to find the contact info of sellers and arrange to buy outside of the platform.
If sales are conducted off the eBay platform, but the buyer and seller connected there, then the buyer is still liable to pay all the eBay fees.
Sellers are also liable to pay the final value fees if they connected with the seller on eBay but the sale was finalized off the eBay platform.
So there you have it! A fascinating insight into how eBay works. Whether you hope to sell some personal items here or there, or you plan to have a business, eBay is the place for you!